Robert Jenkins Memorial Scholarship
After Robert Jenkins retired from the Air Force, he continued his love and passion for education by working with the Higher Education Consortium of Metropolitan St. Louis Educational Talent Search (ETS) program for 23 years until retiring in 2014. While working full-time for ETS Robert also served as a member of EOA and was the organization's treasurer until retiring in 2015. Robert was committed to broadening student access and success in formal and post-secondary education. EOA recognized him as an Honorary Professional Member and in 2018, he was inducted into the MKN (Missouri-Kansas-Nebraska) Hall of Fame.
This endowed scholarship is established by the EOA Foundation in collaboration with the EOA Board of Directors. Students are nominated by TRIO/EOP professionals in their respective Chapters and selected through a process administered jointly by EOA and the EOA Foundation. This scholarship is awarded by the EOA Foundation and is non-renewable.
Two awards of $1,000 will be given in 2020. Thereafter, one award of $1,000 will be given each year. Each Chapter may select a semifinalist (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Missouri/Kansas/Nebraska, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin).
The student applicant must meet the following criteria:
1. Be from a first-generation or low-income background and/or is a student with a disability;
2 Be a current high school senior anticipating enrollment in a two-year or four-year post-secondary institution for the upcoming academic year.
3. Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale;
4. Demonstrate involvement in co-curricular and/or community activities;
5. Be a current TRIO/EOP student within the EOA region.
The Nominator MUST be a current member of EOA at the time of the scholarship deadline.
The applicant must submit the following (PDF) materials in order for their application to be considered complete:
- Nomination Form (from TRIO/EOP professional - must be EOA member)
- Letter of Recommendation from Nominator
- Copy of unofficial academic transcript, including current semester schedule
- Signed Photo Release Form and an uploaded headshot
- Student essay (double-spaced and not exceeding 2 pages) describing:
1. The impact of TRIO or educational opportunity program your education.
2. Your co-curricular and/or community involvement.
3. Why the Robert Jenkins Memorial Scholarship is important to you.
NOTE: Applications must be completed in one session. Applicants are NOT able to save their progress and return to it later. It is advised you prepare all application materials prior to applying as the system will time you out for inactivity and all progress will be lost and unrecoverable.
Click link below to apply!
(Nominator must be an EOA member within that state Chapter in order for the applicant to be eligible.)
ILLINOIS: (Due March 2, 2020)
INDIANA: (Due March 2, 2020)
IOWA: (Due March 2, 2020)
MICHIGAN: (Due March 2, 2020)
MINNESOTA: (Due March 2, 2020)
MO-KAN-NE: (Due March 2, 2020)
OHIO: (Due March 2, 2020)
WISCONSIN: (Due March 2, 2020)