Donald R. Singleton Memorial Scholarship
Donald’s relationship with TRIO began 30 years ago when he was an undergraduate at Marquette University and participant of the EOP Program. The last 25 years of his career were spent at the Upward Bound Program at UW-Milwaukee. From Advisor to Director, Donald was passionate about education and embraced the vision of the Upward Bound Program. Donald was committed and in the service of students at UWM, and an advocate for all students nationally. He dedicated his career to championing the rights of students and was the “go-to-person” on TRIO legislation and advocacy. He was a member of the EOA Foundation Board of Directors beginning in 2014. He served as Chair of both its Nominations-Elections Committee and Marketing-Communications Committee.
This one-time scholarship is sponsored by EOA and the EOA Foundation. Students are nominated by TRIO/EOP professionals in their respective Chapters. This scholarship is awarded by the EOA Foundation and is non-renewable.
Two awards of $1,000. Each Chapter may select a semifinalist (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Missouri/Kansas/Nebraska, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin).
The student applicant must meet the following criteria:
1. Be from a first-generation or low-income background and/or is a student with a disability;
2. Be enrolled, or anticipated enrollment for current high school seniors, in a two-year or four-year post-secondary institution for the next academic year;
3. Have cumulative minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale;
4. Demonstrate a commitment to seeking historical information through reading books or other materials/methods and expressing the impact that the acquired knowledge has had on them; and
5. Reside within the EOA region.
The Nominator MUST be a current member of EOA at the time of the scholarship deadline.
The applicant must submit the following (PDF) materials in order for their application to be considered complete:
- Nomination Form (from TRIO/EOP professional - must be EOA member)
- Letter of Recommendation from Nominator
- Copy of unofficial academic transcript, including current semester schedule
- Signed Photo Release Form
- Student essay (double-spaced and not exceeding 2 pages) describing:
1. The impact of TRIO or educational opportunity program on your education
2. Your commitment to seeking historical information through reading books or other materials/methods and expressing the impact that the acquired knowledge has had on you
3. Why the Donald R. Singleton Memorial Scholarship is important to you.
A digital headshot photo of applicant must also be on file with the Nominator in case applicant is selected as a recipient.
NOTE: Applications must be completed in one session. Applicants are NOT able to save their progress and return to it later.
Click your state link below to apply!
(Nominator must be an EOA member within that state Chapter in order for the applicant to be eligible.)
ILLINOIS: (Due: March 29, 2019)
INDIANA: (Due: March 29, 2019)
IOWA: (Due: March 29, 2019)
MICHIGAN: (Due: March 31, 2019)
MINNESOTA: (Due: March 31, 2019)
OHIO: (Due: March 31, 2019)
WISCONSIN: (Due: March 31, 2019)
MOKANNE: (Due: March 31, 2019)