EOA Charles Cantale Award for Leadership and Service
Charles (Chuck) Cantale served EOA, EOAF, the Minnesota TRIO chapter and students admirably. He was a charter member of the Educational Opportunity Association (EOA) when it was founded on August 31, 1975 as MAEOPP, was a charter member of the Educational Opportunity Association Foundation (EOAF) and served as its first President from 1982 – 2000. Chuck raised more than $340,000 for the Foundation as president and established the Foundation’s first fundraising initiatives, including the Buck-A-Day, Buck-A-Week and the Buck-A-Month clubs. He endowed the Charles Cantale Award for Leadership and Service and continues to contribute to ensure its growth.
One award of $1,000 to Minnesota. Each year one or more chapters are eligible to receive this scholarship. The scholarship awards are distributed based on the existing chapter rotation schedule. The applicant selected by the Chapter Scholarship Committee will be the recipient for that Chapter.
The student applicant must meet the following criteria to apply:
1. Be a current TRIO/EOP student within the EOA region and reside within the EOA region;
2. Be enrolled in a two-year or four-year post-secondary institution for the upcoming academic year or anticipated enrollment for current high school seniors;
3. Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale; and
4. Demonstrates entrepreneurial skills/abilities and commits those skills in service of a greater good. Entrepreneurial skills may include but are not limited to creativity/innovation, networking with others, working effectively in a team, leadership, constructive risk-taking, and a strong work ethic.
The Nominator MUST be a current member of EOA at the time of the scholarship deadline.
The applicant must submit the following (PDF) materials in order for their application to be considered complete:
- Nomination Form (from TRIO/EOP professional - must be EOA member)
- Letter of Recommendation from Nominator
- Copy of unofficial academic transcript, including current semester schedule
- Signed Photo Release Form
- Student essay (double-spaced and not exceeding 2 pages) describing:
1. The impact of TRIO or educational opportunity program your education
2. Your commitment to using entrepreneurial skills in service of a greater good
3. Why the Charles Cantale Award for Leadership and Service is important to you
A digital headshot photo of applicant must also be on file with the Nominator in case applicant is selected as a recipient.
NOTE: Applications must be completed in one session. Applicants are NOT able to save their progress and return to it later.
Click link below to apply!
(Nominator must be an EOA member within that state Chapter in order for the applicant to be eligible.)
MINNESOTA: (Due March 31, 2019)