Arnold Mitchem/Ronald E. McNair Graduate Fellowship
The Arnold Mitchem/Ronald E. McNair Graduate Fellowship was founded and funded initially by the
Wisconsin Chapter of EOA. The award is to assist TRIO/EOP students pursuing a Master’s Degree, Ed.D, or
Doctorate Degree. (It does not include terminal or professional degrees.)
One award of $1,000 to each MOKANNE and Illinois Chapter. (Two awards given in 2018). Each year one or more Chapters may be eligible to receive this scholarship. The awards are based on the existing Chapter rotation schedule.
The student applicant must meet the following criteria to apply:
- Be a current TRIO/EOP program participant during the scholarship award year
- Plan to enroll in graduate school as a full-time student (minimum of 9 credits per semester or 12 credits per quarter) by the fall semester immediately following application competition (verification of enrollment will need to be provided in the fall if chosen as a scholarship recipient)
- Be a student whose goal is to obtain a master's and/or doctoral degree from an accredited college or university
*NOTE: Students enrolled in the following programs shall NOT be eligible: Law School, MBA Program, Medical School (except joint M.D/Ph.D. programs), Veterinary Medicine (except joint Vet/Med Ph.D. programs) and Labor and Industrial Relations (except joint LIR/Ph.D. programs)
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.2/4.0 in undergraduate school
The Nominator MUST be a current member of EOA at the time of the scholarship deadline.
The applicant must submit the following (PDF) materials in order for their application to be considered complete:
- Nomination Form (from TRIO/EOP professional - must be EOA member)
- Two Letters of Recommendation (One from Nominator and the other from a faculty member)
*These can be given to the student to upload individually, OR
*Letters can be emailed to the Nominator to coordinate with the student to upload and ensure privacy
- Copy of unofficial academic transcript, including current semester schedule
- Signed Photo Release Form
- Student personal statement essay (Max: 600 words) addressing:
1. Evidence of community and/or leadership involvement
2. Evidence of multicultural activities and contributions
3. Your commitment to academic excellence
4. Your graduate and professional goals
5. How TRIO/EOP has impacted your academic journey
6. Your plan to give back to the EOA organization, nominating TRIO/EOP program, high school, college or community
A digital headshot photo of applicant must also be on file with the Nominator in case applicant is selected as a recipient.
NOTE: Applications must be completed in one session. Applicants are NOT able to save their progress and return to it later.
Click your Chapter link below to apply!
(Nominator must be an EOA member within that state Chapter in order for the applicant to be eligible.)
ILLINOIS: (Due March 31, 2018)
MO-KAN-NE: (Due March 15, 2018)
Mitchem/McNair Scholarship Recipients
2017 No recipient
2015 Justin Christopher University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
Lee Yang University of Wisconsin-LaCrosse, LaCrosse, WI
Larry Davis University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI
Siblee Salamon Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH
2014 Audreanna Shannon Western MI University in Counseling Education/Psychology
Amanda Moua University of Minnesota - Twin Cities MSW Program